The Safety Manager is primarily responsible for leading and managing the Company’s safety initiatives and safety loss control programs, and the development of a safety and risk management culture. Assures the Company’s safety program is designed to comply with OSHA and other construction industry standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Researches new regulations and developments in the field of Health and Safety and recommend changes in the Company’s program.
• Leads development of and clearly articulates Company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures in order to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors.
• Assists in the documentation and implementation of required or desired changes in the safety program.
• Ensures safety & health training meet the needs of internal and external requirements, so Company staff has the safety training to safely perform tasks and jobs.
• Writes job specific safety plans; schedules job site visits and safety audits.
• Ensures full compliance of the safety program.
• Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and conclusions, and monitors results to make improvements or take corrective action.
• Leads incident investigations and properly documents and reports all findings to the Executive Management Team.
• Manages hazard assessment activities by conducting and/or supervising safety inspections, and analyzing inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and corrective practices.
• Reviews documentation to insure all required onsite records and reports are complete, accurate and submitted per established procedures.
• Reinforces safety awareness in a manner that promotes cooperation and improved morale.
• Assists in the tracking of the Experience Modification Factor while increasing awareness.
• Coordinates with insurance carrier’s safety persons.
• Accompanies all safety, health and insurance inspectors on walk through inspections.
• Provides tailgates safety talks to crew at job sites.
• Develops annual plans & budgets for safety & health initiatives.
• Organizes and keeps employee safety certifications up to date.
• Manages workers comp & vehicle claims.
• Manages return to work/restricted duty program.
• Manages safety incentive programs which reward targeted behaviors & results.
• Performs additional assignments as required by operating needs of the company or as directed by upper management, including but not exclusive to: ensuring compliance with pollution control and environment issues; involvement in disaster response and planning.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in environmental health & safety, safety management, construction or related field.
• OSHA certification required; CSP certification preferred.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in construction industry safety management.
• In depth technical knowledge of construction related OSHA, federal, state, and local regulatory standards, and ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement effective corrective practices.
• Experience managing staff and third party hired firms.
• Must be an effective communicator, generating professional written material and delivering effective verbal presentations.
• Must have a valid driver license.
• Clear understanding of Company mission and values.
• Ability to work independently and as part of team.
• Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust.
• Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
• Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
• Use of personal protection equipment is required.
• Use of appropriate safety equipment is required.
• Be able to work overtime when required.
• Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
• Pass Pre-employment drug screening and maintain compliance with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
job ID: 3272
1 - 9 Employees